Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On our way...

 I set my alarm for 6 am. It seems whenever I set my alarm, I automatically wake up earlier than it goes off.  Today at 5:30. I jumped up thinking...today is the day. It seems I have been thinking about this day for so long. The day after Jesse was born and we were told he had Down Syndrome, the Dr. also told us he would need surgery to repair his heart at 10 weeks old. I remember thinking at the time that 10 weeks seemed like so far away. A month later when we saw his Cardiologist we were told he was doing well, he was strong, growing and  functioning well with his heart defect. At his next visit  2 months later we were told to come back at 6 months and at that visit we were told to come back at a year. Here we are at 14 months...

On our ride up the sky was clear and beautiful that is until we hit the Sunshine Skyway Bridge entering St. Petersburg.. The Travel Channel rated the Sunshine Skyway #3 in its special on the "Top 10 Bridges" in the World. The bridge is considered the "flag bridge" of Florida. I looked to my left and the sky was half dark gray and half clear sky (picture). It reminded me of how i was feeling as we approached All Children's Hospital. Half excited that the day had finally arrived and we would be able to repair his heart and see how much stronger he would be in the coming months. He has accomplished so much already..with a stronger heart how much more he could  do... And the other half knows that the minute they take him away I will be a hot mess...


Funny as we hit the bridge it was pouring as soon as we crossed and were on our way down it was clear sky again...making me hopeful that would be the same in our case...A quick few days and we will be back home, recovering and moving on...







Once we arrived..It was pre admission testing...

No comments:

Post a Comment